
Police divers are on Friday combing through a murky swimming pool at a luxury Hyde Park residence in northern Johannesburg, as investigations intensified into a shooting that left a young gardener critically wounded.
The search forms part of an ongoing probe into an attempted murder case involving Bellarmine Chatunga Mugabe, the son of the late former Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe.
Gauteng police confirmed that Mugabe and a second suspect are expected to appear before the Alexandra Magistrates Court on Monday, following their arrest on Thursday.
Authorities say the firearm used in the shooting has still not been recovered, prompting specialist divers to search the pool at the Hyde Park property, believed to be the crime scene.
Police spokesperson Colonel Dimakatso Nevhuhulwi said investigations remain active and all possible leads are being pursued.
“The suspects have been formally charged with attempted murder. The firearm has not yet been found, and further investigation is underway,” she said.
The incident unfolded on Thursday morning when police were alerted by private security to a shooting at the upscale home. Upon arrival, officers found a 23-year-old gardener, employed at the residence, with gunshot wounds. He was rushed to the hospital in a critical condition.
While initial reports suggested a single gunshot wound, sources close to the investigation claim the victim may have been shot more than once. The motive is believed to be linked to a dispute at the property, though this has not been officially confirmed.

In a dramatic turn of events later that evening, police intercepted a black BMW attempting to leave the property. The vehicle, fitted with illegal white lights and a siren, was seized on the spot.
Officers found three occupants inside and confiscated the vehicle as part of the broader investigation into the shooting.
Police have not confirmed any link between the vehicle and the alleged shooting, but say all elements are being examined.
Meanwhile, Zimbabwe’s ruling party, ZANU-PF, said it is awaiting formal communication from South African authorities regarding the arrest.
The development has sparked renewed scrutiny of the Mugabe family, which has had several run-ins with the law in both South Africa and Zimbabwe over the years.
Neighbours in Hyde Park have described ongoing disturbances at the property, alleging that gunshots have been heard there on previous occasions.
“It’s not the first time we’ve heard gunfire coming from that house,” said one resident, who asked not to be named.
Mugabe’s lawyer, Snenhlanhla Mnguni, briefly addressed the media outside the residence on Friday, saying the family would allow the legal process to unfold.
“The family is cooperating and will allow the law to take its course,” Mnguni said.
The arrest adds to a string of controversies involving the Mugabe brothers, who have been living in South Africa for several years.
In 2023, Chatunga Mugabe was accused of assault following an altercation at a Sandton nightclub. In a separate incident last year, he was arrested in Zimbabwe alongside bodyguards over alleged assaults at a mining site.
His brother, Robert Mugabe Jnr, has also faced legal challenges, including a court appearance in Harare on drug-related charges.
The family’s legal troubles date back further. In 2017, their mother, Grace Mugabe, was granted diplomatic immunity in South Africa after being accused of assaulting a model in Johannesburg.
As the investigation continues, police say the recovery of the missing firearm remains a priority, with Friday’s underwater search expected to play a critical role in the case.


