
Three accused in the brutal killing of e-hailing driver Isaac David Satlat remain behind bars after abandoning their bail application in the Pretoria Magistrates’ Court on Monday, as police intensify the search for a fourth suspect still at large.
Dikeledi Tears Mphala (24), Goitsione Machidi (25) and McClaren Mushwana (30) face charges of premeditated murder and robbery with aggravating circumstances following the death of the 23-year-old driver in Pretoria West last week.
According to the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), the trio allegedly ordered an e-hailing service on 11 February 2026 using a cellphone number not registered in their names. When Satlat arrived to pick up passengers, Mphala and an accomplice – who has not yet been arrested – entered the vehicle, while the other two accused allegedly followed in a separate car.
It is alleged that Satlat was forced to stop the vehicle, strangled and robbed of his cellphone and car. The vehicle has since been recovered. The shocking incident was captured on a camera installed inside the car, with footage later circulating widely on social media.
The viral video played a significant role in the investigation. Members of the public shared images and alleged identities of the suspects online, prompting widespread outrage and calls for justice. Police arrested Mphala on 13 February, while Machidi and Mushwana were apprehended two days later.
The case has been postponed to 23 February 2026 for further investigations.
NPA regional spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana said the State remains committed to ensuring that those responsible for violent crimes are prosecuted.
“The National Prosecuting Authority will continue to work closely with law enforcement to ensure that perpetrators of violent crimes are brought to justice,” she said.
Meanwhile, Gauteng police spokesperson Colonel Mavela Masondo confirmed that investigations are ongoing and that more arrests are imminent.
“The police have arrested two more suspects after an e-hailing driver was allegedly killed on Wednesday, 11 February 2026. The suspects will appear in court facing charges that include car hijacking and murder. Police are still on the lookout for the fourth suspect,” Masondo said.
Satlat’s body was discovered in Atteridgeville on the same day he went missing. His death has sent shockwaves through Pretoria’s e-hailing community and beyond, particularly among fellow foreign nationals working in the sector.
Satlat, a Nigerian national, was described by family members as hardworking and full of ambition. Speaking to African Times, his uncle said the young man had been studying mobile engineering and was due to graduate next month.
“Isaac was peaceful and respectful. He loved cars and dreamed of building a career in the motor industry,” his uncle said. “He came here to build a better future.”
The family is now appealing for financial assistance to repatriate his body to Nigeria for burial.
The tragedy has once again highlighted the risks faced by e-hailing drivers, many of whom operate alone and accept trip requests from unknown passengers. Industry stakeholders have repeatedly called for stricter safety protocols, including stronger passenger verification systems and real-time emergency response partnerships with police.


