NUM Calls for Urgent Probe as Five Workers Remain Trapped at Ekapa Mine

Ekapa Minerals Mine
Five mineworkers were trapped underground following a mudslide at the Ekapa Minerals mine in Kimberley on Tuesday morning. Photo: Ekapa Minerals

The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) has called for urgent intervention and a full-scale investigation after five mineworkers became trapped underground following a mudslide at the Ekapa Minerals mine in Kimberley.

The incident occurred in the early hours of Tuesday morning, approximately 890 metres below ground in Tunnel 6 at the Joint Shaft operation. According to the company, a mud rush incident cut off access to the affected area, leaving five employees unaccounted for.

Emergency response teams were immediately activated, with underground rescue operations launched in an effort to locate and safely retrieve the trapped workers. Communication with the miners has been severed, and they remain unreachable.

In a statement, Ekapa Minerals confirmed the incident and said families of the missing workers had been informed. The company indicated that all necessary specialist rescue resources had been mobilised and that the primary focus remains on the safety of employees and the effectiveness of ongoing rescue efforts.

The mine also appealed for privacy for the affected families during what it described as a distressing period. Management stressed that it would not speculate on the cause of the mudslide at this stage but committed to keeping communication open and cooperating fully with authorities.

The NUM expressed deep concern over the incident, describing it as devastating news for the mining community in Kimberley.

NUM Kimberley Regional Secretary Mosepedi Sanane said the union’s immediate concern is the safe return of the trapped workers. He conveyed solidarity with their families and colleagues, saying the union remains hopeful that rescue teams will locate the miners alive.

“This is an extremely anxious and painful time for the families,” Sanane said. “Our thoughts are with them, and we are praying for a positive outcome as rescue teams continue their work underground.”

While rescue operations continue, the union has called on the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE) to urgently initiate a thorough and transparent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the mudslide.

Sanane said it is critical that the exact cause of the incident be established and that any potential shortcomings in safety systems be identified without delay. “We need a clear account of what led to this disaster. If there were any gaps in safety procedures or compliance, those must be addressed decisively,” he said.

The union has vowed to monitor developments closely, insisting that mineworker safety cannot be compromised under any circumstances.

Meanwhile, labour representatives on the ground echoed concerns about the lack of immediate clarity regarding what transpired underground. Local union officials said they are awaiting a detailed briefing from management to better understand the sequence of events that led to the mud rush.

The Department of Mineral Resources and Energy has reportedly been notified of the incident, and regulatory processes are expected to follow in line with statutory requirements governing mine health and safety.

Mud rush incidents, though relatively rare, are among the more dangerous hazards in underground mining operations, particularly in deep-level shafts where conditions can change rapidly. The incident has once again placed the spotlight on occupational safety standards in South Africa’s mining sector.

As rescue teams continue their work nearly 900 metres below the surface, anxiety is mounting among families and colleagues gathered near the mine. Authorities have not yet provided a timeline for when the trapped workers may be reached.

For now, hope rests on the intensive search and rescue efforts underway, as the union, company and government authorities work to secure the safe return of the five miners and determine the cause of the incident that has shaken the Kimberley mining community.

Author

RELATED TOPICS

Related Articles

African Times