Stuart James Scharnick Faces Intimidation Case After Confrontation With Journalist at Madlanga Commission

Stuart James Scharnick was arrested after allegedly threatening and intimidating Sowetan journalist Herman Moloi during proceedings at the Madlanga Commission in Pretoria
Stuart James Scharnick was arrested after allegedly threatening and intimidating Sowetan journalist Herman Moloi during proceedings at the Madlanga Commission in Pretoria. Photo: Screenshot

The Sowetan has condemned what it described as the “unacceptable conduct” of Stuart James Scharnick, who was arrested after allegedly threatening and intimidating its journalist Herman Moloi during proceedings at the Madlanga Commission in Pretoria.

Moloi, who is covering the commission at the Bridget Mabandla Justice College, opened a criminal case of intimidation against Scharnick following an altercation during Thursday’s tea adjournment.

The Sowetan said it condemned the alleged behaviour “in the strongest terms”, while Moloi later confirmed that he was safe and would allow the law to take its course.

Scharnick was arrested at the commission venue following the incident.

The confrontation happened after Scharnick approached suspended MP Fadiel Adams, who has been testifying before the commission. When Scharnick returned to the public gallery, journalists filmed him.

According to Moloi, Scharnick confronted him and questioned why he had recorded him without his permission.

“He said, even yesterday you took videos of me and posted on social media,” Moloi said.

Moloi told Scharnick that he had not recorded him the previous day and asked him to show him the footage he was referring to.

“He’s like, I don’t have my phone with me now,” Moloi said.

He said Scharnick’s manner became increasingly threatening.

“His tone was very threatening because he was even pointing fingers at me, telling me that if I want to talk like this, I must come outside,” Moloi said.

Moloi said he decided to open the intimidation case because he was concerned about what could happen if the confrontation moved outside the commission venue.

The incident was witnessed by journalists at the venue and footage of the confrontation subsequently circulated on social media.

In a statement shared on his X account, Moloi thanked people who had contacted him following the incident.

“Good day, everyone. I am okay following the incident,” he said.

“I was unable to take calls and reply to messages because I was busy registering a criminal case. I will now allow the law to take its course.”

The arrest comes as Scharnick’s name has again surfaced at the commission, where his alleged relationship with suspended deputy national police commissioner Lieutenant General Shadrack Sibiya has previously been examined.

During earlier evidence, Crime Intelligence head Lieutenant General Dumisani Khumalo told the commission that Scharnick had been linked to 34 criminal cases, with 18 convictions, 11 withdrawals and five acquittals. Khumalo also told the commission that a Toyota bakkie driven by Sibiya had been registered in Scharnick’s name.

Scharnick has disputed aspects of the allegations against him and previously opened cases against Khumalo over claims made during the commission.

The allegations surrounding Scharnick were also examined during a KwaZulu-Natal police media briefing in November last year.

Maj Gen Anthony Gopal, then the acting deputy provincial commissioner for crime detection, said police had reviewed 29 criminal dockets linked to Scharnick in the province.

Gopal said 10 of the cases involved vehicle theft and eight involved carjackings. He said 18 dockets had been consolidated into a single matter, which resulted in a five-year prison sentence that was wholly suspended and a R150,000 fine.

The briefing followed Khumalo’s evidence linking Scharnick to Sibiya and allegations concerning his criminal history.

Sibiya has previously defended his relationship with Scharnick. In February, Sibiya told the commission that he did not know Scharnick had a history of conflict with the law.

Scharnick’s presence at the Madlanga Commission has therefore attracted renewed attention as the inquiry continues examining allegations of criminal networks and their alleged links to senior police officials.

For Moloi, however, Thursday’s incident has now become a criminal matter.

The Sowetan said it stood firmly behind its reporter and would continue to support him as the case proceeds.
The commission adjourned earlier than usual following the arrest.

Author

RELATED TOPICS

Related Articles

African Times