
Four people have been killed and one person wounded in a shooting at a flat in Newclare, west of Johannesburg.
Sophiatown police are investigating four counts of murder and one count of attempted murder following the shooting on Saturday, 15 August 2026.
Gauteng police spokesperson Captain Tintswalo Sibeko said police received a complaint of a shooting in Newclare at about 9.34 pm.
“Upon arrival at the scene, community members pointed out a flat where they alleged that several people had been shot,” Sibeko said.
Police entered the premises and found several victims inside the flat.
Three victims, aged between 18 and 20, were found with gunshot wounds and were declared dead at the scene by paramedics.
Police have since confirmed that the death toll has risen to four.
A fifth victim, aged 23, sustained gunshot wounds and was transported to hospital for further medical treatment.
The circumstances surrounding the shooting remain unclear, and the motive has not yet been established.
The suspects are unknown, and no arrests have been made.
Sibeko said investigations were continuing as detectives worked to establish what led to the shooting and identify those responsible.
The latest incident comes as Gauteng continues to grapple with serious violent crime and gun violence, despite an overall decline in reported serious crime in the province.
Gauteng recorded a decline of more than 5,000 serious crime cases, representing a 5.2% decrease compared with the corresponding period the previous year. However, police have continued to identify violent crime and kidnapping as significant concerns in the province.
Gauteng also continues to record the highest absolute number of murders in the country because of its large population. During the latest national crime statistics period, the province recorded the highest number of murders nationally, although its murder rate stood at 7.1 per 100,000 people.
Police have also warned about the continued role of illegal firearms in serious and violent crimes.
The province has experienced several high profile shootings in recent months, including deadly mass shootings in Johannesburg and surrounding areas.
In June, a mass shooting in the Cleveland area of Johannesburg left 12 people dead and at least 15 others injured. Police said armed suspects moved through the area and opened fire before fleeing. The motive remained under investigation.
The incident was among several deadly shootings that have renewed concerns about organised crime, illegal firearms and violence in vulnerable communities.
Nationally, police have reported decreases in several categories of violent crime, including murder, rape and robbery. Despite the reductions, government has acknowledged that South Africa continues to experience unacceptably high levels of violent crime.
The government has also identified organised crime and illegal firearms as major threats and has announced measures aimed at strengthening law enforcement operations against criminal networks.
Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed the Newclare shooting or has information that could assist investigators to come forward.
Information can be provided to the Crime Stop Line on 08600 10111.
Members of the public can also submit information anonymously through the MySAPS App.
Police have urged anyone with information not to confront suspected perpetrators, but to provide information directly to law enforcement.
The identities of the deceased have not been released, pending notification of their next of kin.
Police investigations are continuing.


