
The Public Service Commission has briefed Acting Social Development Minister Sindisiwe Chikunga on an investigation into the alleged irregular appointment of Lesedi Mabiletja within the Department of Social Development, as pressure mounts on the department to act against implicated officials and recover public funds.
The briefing, led by PSC Chairperson Prof Somadoda Fikeni earlier this week, focused on the Commission’s Own Accord Investigation into the appointment of Mabiletja within the ministry.
The development comes a week after President Cyril Ramaphosa appointed Chikunga as acting minister following the dismissal of former Social Development Minister Sisisi Tolashe.
Tolashe’s removal followed mounting controversies and allegations surrounding governance failures within the department. Among the scandals that drew public attention were allegations that she received two luxury vehicles, which were allegedly not declared.
During a parliamentary engagement, Dereleen James questioned Tolashe about the vehicles. Under pressure, Tolashe reportedly stated that the cars were intended for the ANC Women’s League. However, the ANCWL later indicated that it had no knowledge of the vehicles, further fuelling controversy around the matter.
Tolashe also faced criticism over allegations that a nanny working at her daughter’s residence was allegedly being paid through departmental funds, raising concerns about the possible misuse of state resources.
The controversies intensified scrutiny over leadership and governance within the Department of Social Development, ultimately contributing to Ramaphosa’s decision to remove her from the portfolio and appoint Chikunga in an acting capacity.
In a statement released on Wednesday, the PSC said the meeting with Chikunga was intended to formally brief her on the scope, progress and preliminary findings of the investigation into Mabiletja’s appointment.
Fikeni stressed the importance of accountability and ethical governance within the department, noting that the Department of Social Development serves more than 30 million vulnerable South Africans, including pensioners, children, youth and persons living with disabilities.
“He emphasized the urgency required in addressing challenges that affect the most vulnerable in society,” the PSC said.
According to the Commission, the former minister had already received the report but failed to adequately respond to the PSC’s directions. Instead, she allegedly submitted statements from officials already implicated in the investigation.
As a result, the PSC decided to engage directly with the acting minister to ensure she was fully informed about the findings and the department’s obligations once the final report is issued.
The Commission said disciplinary action must now be instituted against several officials involved in the appointment process.
Among those implicated is a senior human resource practitioner accused of unlawfully motivating and implementing the appointment despite Mabiletja allegedly not meeting the required qualifications and experience.
A chief director responsible for human capital management has also been accused of supporting the recommendation despite the candidate’s alleged shortcomings.
The PSC further recommended disciplinary action against the department’s former director general for allegedly contravening Public Service Regulations and provisions of the Public Finance Management Act by approving the appointment and signing the appointment letter.
The Commission said criminal charges under Section 86 of the PFMA could also be considered.
However, the former director general reportedly claimed that his electronic signature had been fraudulently used during the process. The PSC said this allegation must be investigated in collaboration with the State Information Technology Agency to prevent similar incidents in future.
The PSC also insisted that the department must recover all monies paid to Mabiletja during the period of her appointment.
In addition, the Commission said criminal cases should be opened against any officials who resigned or retired after allegations surfaced, particularly where public funds may have been improperly spent.
Chikunga welcomed the PSC’s presentation and committed to ensuring that the department’s acting director general develops a detailed action plan to address the issues raised.
“She underscored the importance of good governance and professional ethics in managing government affairs,” the PSC said.
The Commission reiterated that heads of department have a responsibility to ensure executive authorities are not misled in governance matters, particularly regarding recruitment and appointments. It also stressed that ministers must exercise due diligence in matters linked to their offices.
The PSC confirmed that its final report would be submitted to both Chikunga and the Presidency later this week, together with binding directives requiring implementation and a formal response.
The Commission also revealed that Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Social Development has requested further investigations into broader systemic issues within the department, including food aid programmes and a forensic report linked to the extension of the former director general’s contract.
The PSC said it remains committed to carrying out its constitutional mandate with impartiality, transparency and diligence.


