
Justice Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi has welcomed the swift suspension of a prosecutor accused of contempt of court after his dramatic failure to appear in the high-profile extortion and money laundering case involving Mpumalanga taxi boss Madoda Johannes Sibanyoni and three co-accused.
The prosecutor was convicted of contempt of court at the Kwaggafontein Magistrate’s Court on Monday after failing to arrive for the continuation of the accused’s bail application. The magistrate subsequently issued a warrant of arrest against the prosecutor, triggering outrage and embarrassment for the State.
The collapse of proceedings led to jubilant scenes outside court, with supporters of the accused celebrating after the matter was struck off the court roll because of the prosecutor’s absence.
Kubayi said the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development supported the immediate action taken by the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) against the prosecutor.
“The Minister welcomes the swift action taken to suspend the prosecutor pending the institution of appropriate disciplinary action by the National Prosecuting Authority,” the department said.
Kubayi expressed disappointment at the manner in which events unfolded in court, warning that failures by state institutions could undermine confidence in the criminal justice system.
“It is in the interest of justice that the accused persons are given an opportunity to respond to the charges brought against them in the court of law. Technical lapses of this nature, especially by state institutions, must be avoided so that the public does not lose confidence in our justice system,” Kubayi said.
She also called on the NPA to urgently strengthen systems and internal processes to prevent similar incidents in future.

The NPA confirmed that disciplinary proceedings were being instituted against the prosecutor convicted of contempt of court. The authority said the prosecutor would remain suspended pending the outcome of the disciplinary process.
The matter involves Sibanyoni, popularly known as “Joe Ferrari” in Mpumalanga taxi circles, and three co-accused who face charges of extortion and money laundering linked to alleged organised criminal activities within the taxi industry.
The accused were arrested during a major operation involving the SAPS Organised Crime Unit and the Special Task Force earlier this month. Investigators allege the group extorted money from businesses and individuals through intimidation, threats and violence.
Authorities further allege that proceeds from the alleged criminal activities were laundered through businesses and financial transactions connected to the suspects.
Following Monday’s courtroom drama, the South African Police Service (SAPS) insisted that the criminal case against the accused remained strong despite the temporary setback.
In a statement issued by Mpumalanga police spokesperson Colonel Mavela Masondo, SAPS said reports suggesting investigators had failed to attend court were false.
“The investigating team arrived in court at 08:45 this morning,” SAPS said.
Police stressed that the matter was struck off the roll solely because of the prosecutor’s absence and not because of weaknesses in the investigation.
“The SAPS Mpumalanga Organised Crime Unit maintains that it still has a strong case despite the latest developments,” the statement read.
“The Organised Crime Investigation was conducted, hence all four suspects were arrested and the case was initially enrolled then the bail application process initiated. Strong evidence against the suspects with regard to the matter remains intact.”
SAPS added that it would continue engaging with the NPA regarding the future handling of the case.
Meanwhile, videos circulating on social media showed cheering supporters singing and celebrating outside the courthouse after learning that the proceedings had collapsed. Some supporters hailed the outcome as a victory for Sibanyoni and his co-accused.
Legal observers described the incident as a serious embarrassment for the State, particularly because the matter forms part of broader efforts to crack down on organised crime, extortion and violence linked to the taxi industry in Mpumalanga.
The accused are expected to return to court once the matter is re-enrolled by the prosecution.


