
Six South African activists who joined an international humanitarian mission aimed at breaking the blockade on Gaza are expected to return home this weekend after being detained by Israeli forces while attempting to deliver aid to Palestinians.
The delegation, organised under the banner of the Global Sumud Flotilla South Africa campaign, formed part of a 482-member civilian-led international flotilla that sought to deliver humanitarian assistance, including food and medical aid, to Gaza by sea.
According to organisers, the activists were intercepted by the Israeli military in international waters before reaching Gaza and were subsequently detained at K’tziot Prison in occupied Palestine. The group said the activists were held without charge before arrangements were made for their return to South Africa.
The delegates are expected to arrive at OR Tambo International Airport on Saturday morning, where a media briefing and welcome gathering have been planned.
The South African members of the mission include Qutb Hendricks, Yusuf Rahman, Hajar Kagiso Al-Tha’irah Ahjum Mathee, former ambassador Faizel Moosa, and Ebrahim Peters, whose name appeared twice in the statement issued by organisers.
In a statement released this week, Global Sumud Flotilla South Africa described the delegates as “courageous South Africans” who participated in a mission aimed at opening a humanitarian sea corridor into Gaza.
“The goal of the mission remains to open a humanitarian sea corridor, break the siege, and end the genocide,” the organisation said.
The group further accused Israel of maintaining what it called an “illegal blockade” on Gaza since 2007, arguing that conditions in the territory have worsened amid the ongoing war in Palestine.
The incident is likely to intensify debate in South Africa over the conflict in Gaza, which has sparked widespread demonstrations, solidarity campaigns, and diplomatic tensions over the past several years.
South Africa has remained one of the most vocal critics of Israel’s military operations in Gaza. The South African government previously approached the International Court of Justice, accusing Israel of committing genocide against Palestinians — allegations Israel has strongly denied.
Civil society organisations in South Africa have also ramped up pressure on the international community to intervene in the conflict, with calls for sanctions, ceasefires, and unrestricted humanitarian access into Gaza.
The flotilla initiative forms part of a broader international solidarity movement attempting to challenge restrictions on aid entering the territory. Similar missions in previous years have faced interception by Israeli naval forces, with Israel arguing that the blockade is necessary for security reasons and to prevent weapons smuggling into Gaza.
Global Sumud Flotilla South Africa said the return of the activists would not mark the end of the campaign.
“We are pleased to welcome them home as we continue the work of the global majority who stand up against imperialism, apartheid, settler colonialism, and genocide wherever we see it,” the organisation said.
A media briefing is scheduled to take place at OR Tambo International Airport at 11am on Saturday, with journalists expected to receive firsthand accounts from the returning delegates about their experience aboard the flotilla and in detention.
The organisation ended its statement with the slogan: “Freedom for Palestine. End the Genocide.”


